NMEA Launches Young Professionals Group
The National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) has started a Young Professionals Group (YPG) to bring together industry personnel under the age of 40 from diverse backgrounds in marine electronics. The new group’s goal is to attract, retain and promote diversity in the next generation of NMEA leaders and to help ensure their success. NMEA membership is not required to be part of the YPG.
The YPG will offer both online and offline environments to facilitate networking by young, career-minded people in the marine industry. Members will network and share experiences, knowledge and personal stories of how they got into the marine electronics industry. Industry veterans will serve as mentors to share their professional experiences and guide group members for success and growth.
In the weeks and months ahead, the YPG will roll out a multi-pronged program that will include these components:
- Create focused content on LinkedIn
- Showcase exceptional members in Marine Electronics Journal
- A mentorship program pairing young professionals with local and veteran industry professionals
- An annual networking event at the NMEA conference along with smaller events around the country
- Biannual field trips to leading organizations, including Q&A sessions with top officials
- Programs for marine-focused trade schools, including NMEA training
- Stewardship to ensure the sustainability of the industry by partnering with marine conservation organizations
The YPG will kick off its first event at the upcoming NMEA Conference & Expo in Portsmouth, Virginia, which will take place September 16 to 20 at the Portsmouth Renaissance Hotel.
Anyone interested in becoming part of the NMEA YPG can join the “NMEA Young Professionals Group” on LinkedIn, email email@example.com or call 410-975-9425.
More information is also available on the NMEA website at www.nmea.org/content/