International Diving Industry Forum Established to Minimize Risks
The International Diving Industry Forum (IDIF) has been established by three key industry stakeholders: the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA); the Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI); and the International Association of Oil and Gas Producers (IOGP). It was created to reduce and control the risks associated with energy industry diving operations carried out anywhere in the world.
It is intended that the forum will:
- Bring leading industry stakeholders together in a collaborative, constructive effort to promote international energy industry diving safety;
- Provide a specialist forum for discussions, sharing ideas and experiences, and for targeting themes for improving diving safety;
- Facilitate effective communications between the leading diving industry stakeholders;
- Support and promote the leading industry associations in their efforts to develop and maintain appropriate international guidelines for the safe conduct of energy industry diving operations;
- Support the leading industry associations in their efforts to develop and maintain a standardized approach to the safe conduct of energy industry diving operations;
- Facilitate ongoing improvement in international energy industry diving safety.
A 10-member working committee will manage the affairs of the forum. The working committee chairman will be the chairman of the IOGP Diving Operations Safety Committee (DOSC); while the office of working committee vice-chairman will alternate, by agreement, between the chairman of the IMCA Diving Division Management Committee (DDMC) and a working committee representative of the ADCI.
The inaugural meeting of the International Diving Industry Forum took place recently in New Orleans. It was agreed that the first tasks for the forum would be to help prepare definitive industry guidance on ship husbandry and assist with the revision of IMO diving instruments. Detailed terms of reference for the IDIF have been developed to facilitate its work. —International Marine Contractors Association